Sister Stewart & Sister Kingston

Sister Stewart & Sister Kingston

Monday, March 28, 2011

175th Anniversary of the Kirtland Temple Dedication


Hey Everyone!
Happy Spring! It's been so bright and cheery here for the past five days! However, the high has been 30 degrees, so it still feels like winter. Mom, Im glad to hear that camp is going well! Dad, thanks for filling me in on who is planning to go on missions! It's gonna be fun for me to give them some RM advice :) Jacosa congrats on "Once on This Island" I'm sure it's a great show! I would LOVE to take President Treadway's friend on tour! 
 
Well, this week is kind of strange. Sister Stewart is going home and I'm heading into my last transfer. It still doesnt seem real. Ive been companions with Sister Stewart for 3 transfers (4 1/2 months) and it's been the best companionship ever! Im going to miss her a lot! However, I know this next transfer will still be great. I know who my companion will be and she's an awesome missionary. I'm determined to work super hard my last transfer and to see miracles happen. Im excited!
 
Yesterday we had an amazing experience. We celebrated the 175th anniversary of the dedication of the Kirtland Temple. The Kirtland Stake and the Cleveland Stake put together a special program in the Temple. There were two sessions one at 7am and the other at 6pm. We were able to receive tickets for the 7am session. It was so cool to be in the temple as the sun was rising. We were privileged to hear from five speakers. Patriarch Anderson (who gave me my patriarchal blessing) spoke on the events of the dedication. My mission president, the Kirtland Stake president, and the Columbus temple president spoke on the keys that were restored by Moses, Elias, and Elijah. (Those who hold keys spoke on the keys restored!) It was so cool! Then Elder Seldon (the area Seventy) concluded and shared with us some pretty awesome closing remarks about a variety of things. 
The best part of the whole thing was the closing hymn, The Spirit of God. The choir was made up of members of the Kirtland and Cleveland Stakes who participated in Handel's Messiah this past Christmas season. So you can imagine how good they were! There was also a live orchestra! It's hard to describe the feeling that was present as they sang. Ive never heard a choir sound like that! There wasnt a dry eye in the room. The congregation was supposed to join in the last verse, but there werent many of us who could sing at that point. It's something I will always remember.
 
One cool story that Elder Seldon shared with us. In 2006 President Boyd K Packer decided to come to the Kirtland Stake Conference. Elder Seldon picked him up from the airport and as they were driving asked, "President Packer, you could assign yourself to ANY stake conference. Why Kirtland?" 
"I needed a renewal", came the response.  
When Elder Seldon shared this it reminded me of the dedication of the Historic Sites here. President Gordon B. Hinckley, in the dedicatory prayer in 2003, said that this would be a place of "spiritual refreshment". I wish everyone could come to Kirtland and feel what I feel here every day. I thank Heavenly Father every day for allowing me to serve in such a sacred place!
 
I'm super excited for General Conference! Im curious to see if Kirtland will be mentioned? It was on a Sunday 175 years ago to the day (April 3) that Jesus Christ appeared in the Kirtland Temple. On that same day the Priesthood keys were restored by Moses, Elias, and Elijah. Read Doctrine and Covenants section 110!
 
Well, I love you all! I hope you have a great week! Try not to miss me too much haha!
The gospel is true!
 
Love Sister Kingston

No comments:

Post a Comment