Sister Stewart & Sister Kingston

Sister Stewart & Sister Kingston

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Singing in the Temple!

Hey Family!

So I forgot to tell you that today is my p-day because transfers are tomorrow. Sorry! This just means that you'll have to write twice as much next week to fill me in on all the happenings back home. Oh and no Im not being transferred and neither is my comp. This means I will be in this area (Solon) for six months. I think Ill definitely be ready to be transferred after this next one haha. First of all David and Jaycee HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!! I know it's late but I was thinking of you two on your b-days. Hey I met some people from Utica the other day who remember you two. There was a big youth group who came through and when I found out they were from Utica I told them that you served there. I cant remember the names of the family that said they knew you sorry! I think it started with an F...something like felly or falley Im not sure?? If I would have taken them on tour I would have talked to them more, but I had a different tour I had to take.
Some cool things that happened this week. We (the Sisters) got to sing in the Temple. The LDS Family Services had a meeting there (it was about adoption) and Elder Butterfield spoke. The Spirit was super strong. He spoke about Eternal Families and how those sealing keys were restored in Kirtland. At the end of the meeting we all sang The Spirit of God as the closing hymn. Almost everyone was in tears as we all imagined the saints singing this very song at the temple dedication 175 years earlier. It was awesome!
This morning we had a pretty neat experience too. All of us Sisters have training meeting every Tuesday where we hear workshops by the training sisters and Elder Butterfield. The last training meeting of the transfer is always a tear jerker because every sister who's going home bears her testimony. This meeting was especially hard because it was held in the School of the Prophets. Each Sister who is going home (there are three this transfer) recited one of three testimonies of men who were in the School of the Prophets to witness sacred things. The combination of testimonies was powerful! Also, to close the meeting we sang one verse of We Thank Thee Oh God for a Prophet and Praise to the Man. I couldnt even get through the first verse haha. One of the ways I feel the Spirit the most is through song. Add being in the School of the Prophets singing with 25 of your best friends on top of that...I was a goner. The experiences I have here are unlike anything else!
These experiences with singing hymns and feeling the Spirit remind me of a story we tell here in the Whitney home. Newell K Whitney wasn't quite sure if he wanted to be baptized. His wife Anne had already joined the church. He had actually asked her to wait for him to gain the same conviction that she had, so they could be baptized together. But Anne knew it was true and she couldnt wait...she went ahead and was baptized without him. Well, it was a few days later that he did gain that same conviction. During a meeting they held in their home, while they were singing hymns, Newell felt the Spirit so strong that he couldnt deny it. It was then that he decided to be baptized. Pretty cool huh? It reminds me of Doctrine and Covenants section 25.
One more cool thing that I got to do this past week. I gave a tour to a former Kirtland Sister. Her name was Sister Hymas (she has since been married) and she served here about a year and a half ago. She came with her husband and her parents. It was the first time she'd been back since her mission ended. I took them on tour by myself, but she gave part of it. It was really neat to see her bear testimony of Kirtland to her family. It was really special and hard to even explain. I guess youll just have to wait to come to Kirtland with me to know what I mean haha.
K well I have to go. The gospel is true and Kirtland is AMAZING! I wish I could just bottle it up and take it home with me! I love you all so much! Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment